Things Only Ace Thinks About

Sometimes my life is boring. Sometimes it's interesting. Usually it's more often the former and not so much the latter. Sometimes I can make it through my day only by pretending I have a documentary crew following me around, and that's when I'm glad that my inner-monologue cannot be heard by others. Everyone thinks like this, yes? And everyone loves Elvis, and the Brady Bunch, and Stephen King, and birthdays, right?

Monday, June 05, 2006

Skating my way to fun

Well, the birthday celebrations are over-ish, so I suppose I should move on to a new topic. First, though, I must thank all who came to Friday night’s festivities, drank the Cosmos, ate the yummy food, and held back all their snide comments as I opened my presents (the majority of which were Elvis-themed. Odd, huh?). This might be one of my favorite birthday celebrations yet.

Although my favorite birthday celebration wasn’t mine, it was my sister’s. For her 11th birthday party, my parents decided to go all out. Not only did she get a slumber party, but we all also got to go to the local roller skating rink. That’s right. Roller. Skating. This was back when Deleta Skating Rink still had the guy dressed as a clown who would come out and skate with you. He was the ref during the “Shoot the Duck” contest. Which I kicked ass at.

Anyways, Deleta also has fun events over the course of the evening, such as limbo, disco skate, “couples” skate, and, of course, the Hokey-Pokey. At my sister’s party, which consisted of over 10 young girls, plus my brother, and my parents, we all gathered in the center of the rink for the Hokey-Pokey.

We’re all having a good time, when it quickly became obvious to all concerned that my father should never have been issued his skates. At some point, probably after we put our left legs in, took our left legs out, put them back in and shook them all about, and then did the Hokey-Pokey, my dad took out about 5 girls. He wasn’t so good with the turning himself around part.

I don’t think he was ever allowed back in the rink. But it was hysterical to a six year-old Ace. And I was so envious of that party, because I never got a Deleta skating party. My dad, for some reason, seemed less-than eager to book Deleta again. Weird.

Birthdays are great fun. And I still have some leftover cake that was sent home with me. And dinner is figured out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home