Things Only Ace Thinks About

Sometimes my life is boring. Sometimes it's interesting. Usually it's more often the former and not so much the latter. Sometimes I can make it through my day only by pretending I have a documentary crew following me around, and that's when I'm glad that my inner-monologue cannot be heard by others. Everyone thinks like this, yes? And everyone loves Elvis, and the Brady Bunch, and Stephen King, and birthdays, right?

Sunday, May 21, 2006

With a bit of a mind flip . .

I just re-read my last post on presents, and I noticed that I kept saying "need." As in, "I need blah, blah, blah." As in, "These things are not desires, longings, or wants. No, they are things I need. Necessities, even. So you must buy them."

And I felt thoroughly selfish and a bit ashamed. But then those feelings went away. The shame only lasts a minute, which is why I love being me. That and I have a comfortable bed.

Which reminds me (for no good reason): is late twenties too young to be having Alzheimer's symptoms manifesting? I've always lacked a good short-term memory, but I fear it's getting worse. People tell me something, and five minutes later I have no recollection of the entire conversation. Also, today I got out a skirt to iron and then I went to get a drink of water. After that, I stood there for almost five mintures trying to remember what I had been doing before. When I finally did remember, I couldn't find the skirt. I looked for 20 mintures before discovering it hanging back up in my closet. I had that bitch on my ironing board, was in the middle of ironing it, and I have no freakin' clue how it got back into my closet.

I also apparently offered some concert tickets to two different people, forgetting that they are already promised. The best part is that I did this right in front of the other people. I have also taken to renaming people/objects/animals, since I can never remember what they are really called. But ask me what day my birthday was on in 1993, and I'm all over that.

Ok, I was just thinking back on my birthday from that year and I competely forgot what I was doing. I stared at my computer for a good ten seconds before I remembered that I was in the middle of something.

Should I be afraid of this memory loss/time slippage that I keep experiencing? I'm thinking that I'll employ my usual means of dealing with potential medical issues: ignore them until they go away. The beauty of this plan for this particular issue is that I will soon forget that I even have it. Problem solved.

4 Comments:

Blogger Victoria Dehlbom said...

I think your birthday needs are pushing all other thoughts out of your mind. You should be fine June 3. I just ordered your present and I hope it is here by June 2, if not you'll just have to wait, but you know what that means don't you? It means instead of a birthday day you then get to keep celebrating your birthday until you get my present. Hmmm...not such a bad deal.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're getting Alzheimer's, so am I. I'm forgetting EVERYTHING lately. And I had something else to say but I forgot. See?

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What if your Alzheimer's is just making you think that you have a birthday coming up? What if you forgot that it was last month?

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it didn't amuse me so much I would really think it's a problem, but since it does amuse me I think your fine ... keep up the good ... uh, what was I saying?

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home