Things Only Ace Thinks About

Sometimes my life is boring. Sometimes it's interesting. Usually it's more often the former and not so much the latter. Sometimes I can make it through my day only by pretending I have a documentary crew following me around, and that's when I'm glad that my inner-monologue cannot be heard by others. Everyone thinks like this, yes? And everyone loves Elvis, and the Brady Bunch, and Stephen King, and birthdays, right?

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Seriously, do these things happen to others?

Funny story from a few weeks ago. And by funny, I mean disturbing. And something that would only happen to me.

I was watching TV (and Scrubs really needs to stop sucking and pretending it's Grey's Anatomy--we don't need the "life lessons." I don't enjoy them on Grey's Anatomy--which is horrible, yet I kind of like it--and I don't enjoy them just because Dr. Cox is learning them with me) and I received a phone call. Background: Belle is my dog that died last summer, put to sleep by the WSU vet center.

And with a set-up like that, how could this story disappoint?

Phone: Ring, ring (actually "Pop! Goes My Heart!")
Me: This is Ace.
Person: Is this Ace?
Me: . . . Yes.
Person: Hi, Ace, this is Matt from the WSU vet center. We were calling to see how Belle is doing and how you would say we did in our treatment of her.
Me: Uh, she's dead. The vet center is actually where she was put to sleep. So I'd say she's peaceful* and your treatment, clearly not the best.
Matt: . . .
Me: To be fair, I guess it was pretty good until the whole "There's nothing more we can do" portion.
Matt: . . . Uh, yes . . . Uh, oh here, I see that in your records here a few lines down. (Awkward laugh) Guess I should have read that first.
Me: . . .
Matt: Uh, so overall, though, okay?
Me: Sure. Do you need something Matt?
Matt: Well, the WSU vet center works hard to provide wonderful care facilities for your pet--
Me: But she's dead.
Matt: (totally undeterred) And at a low cost. To do this, we rely on donations.
Me: This is a fund-raising call?
Matt: Uh, yes.
Me: You called me at 8:25 at night, remind me of your failure to fix my dog** and then hit me up for cash?
Matt: Yes. Again, I apologize for the earlier incident.
Me: (Racking my brain to remind myself if he had apologized, and then concluding he considered his awkward laugh a good enough version of an apology) Hey, ass-hat, by earlier incident do you mean my dog's death or your retardation failing to read through my file and reminding me of her death? (Ok, so that was inner-monologue)
Matt: Typically, we ask for $250.
Me: !!!
Matt: WSU vet center is--
Me: Does my file also show I'm a grad student? Does it show that technically I live below the poverty line?***
Matt: Oh yes, here it is. . . A graduate student. So what can you give?
Me: I could give your boss a call and tell him that Captain Cock-sicle made the worst fundraising phone call ever.

Ok, my actual answer was, "I could give $25," but I really wanted to say the other thing.

It was a fairly traumatic call. Luckily, I had a witness. Laura heard most of it, because I cranked up the volume on my phone. Of course, my righteous indignation might have appeared less righteous and more giggly, because I was so stunned by the whole thing that I kept laughing.

So that was fun. And then Laverne went into a coma. Not the best Thursday night ever.

*I believe, and not just because a cartoon says so, that all dogs go to heaven.
** Okay, so I might have been a bit unfair here. They did do everything they could, but come on.
***I'm hoping it doesn't show my credit card bill or mention my proclivity for buying things I can't afford.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home