Things Only Ace Thinks About

Sometimes my life is boring. Sometimes it's interesting. Usually it's more often the former and not so much the latter. Sometimes I can make it through my day only by pretending I have a documentary crew following me around, and that's when I'm glad that my inner-monologue cannot be heard by others. Everyone thinks like this, yes? And everyone loves Elvis, and the Brady Bunch, and Stephen King, and birthdays, right?

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Early Bird specials

All right. A week in D.C. (read: a week not in Pullman) quickly erases bad traveling memories. So people who think I'm being punished for my Blue Hawaii Tour 2007 are wrong.

Ok, I've worked every day until 5, but I have had great fun at downtown bars and restaurants. Except when bartenders, hosts, waiters, and every-goddamn-body-else calls me "Ma'am." I hate the South. And don't give me the Southern hospitality speech to justify people making me feel 80. It's not hospitality if it makes me die a little inside.

And if I wanted to feel 80, I could just remind myself of what time I go to bed, what time I get up, how much I enjoy crossword puzzles, and how I didn't know what an Mp3 player was until a few weeks ago.

Uh . . .

But D.C. is fun. That was going to be the point here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Victoria Dehlbom said...

Enjoy it while your there. Southern hospitality is great.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Heathie said...

D.C. sounds fun--except for the Ma'am part. I got called Madam the other day. Who decided those are the "polite" words to address people? I cringe when I hear them.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear ya! My only rules when I teach down here in da Dirty are a) turn of your cell phones during class; b) no hate speech allowed; and c) don't call me ma'am. They rarely break the first two rules, but frequently break the last one. ACK!!!

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home