Things Only Ace Thinks About

Sometimes my life is boring. Sometimes it's interesting. Usually it's more often the former and not so much the latter. Sometimes I can make it through my day only by pretending I have a documentary crew following me around, and that's when I'm glad that my inner-monologue cannot be heard by others. Everyone thinks like this, yes? And everyone loves Elvis, and the Brady Bunch, and Stephen King, and birthdays, right?

Monday, November 13, 2006

Don't be cruel

There are a few things I look forward to with unmitigated glee: my birthday, pumpkin cheesecake, my birthday, Christmas vacation, my birthday, the unveiling of a naked version of Colbert Report (so what? don't judge), and, of course, my once-a-semester lecture on the glory that is Elvis.

Of course, for the administration, I have to call this lecture "The 1950s." But my subtitle is "Elvis kicks ass by the truckload." My friend's subtitle it, "Ace's Crazy on Display." But whatever.

Since I'm teaching two different sections of U.S. history this semester, I had the chance to praise Elvis for two different classes. Unfortunately, I had to go to a conference in Spokane on the first lecture date, so one of my friend's delivered her version of a 1950s lecture, and let's just say that glorifying Elvis was not top on her priority list.

I consoled myself on the loss of this lecture, knowing I still had one more chance. I showed up for work today a bit excited and headed off to class. I had my video clips ready, to show just how sexy the man was. I highlight his dancing and how scandalous it was, so I need video clips.

And the goddamn technology in my classroom didn't work. Even with five students working on it. No video clips. No swooning from Professor Ace. No happy students.

Just me. Getting more and more angry. And now my anger has turned to sadness.

Bitter, bitter sadness.

But then I started thinking that if this was the worst thing that happened to me this week, then really I had a pretty good life. My plan for the rest of the day is to show a movie to my other class, read some fiction, watch some "M*A*S*H" and "Queer as Folk," and put away some laundry. Not a bad thing I got going, so maybe I should get over the whole classroom debacle.

Or write a letter to the stupid IT, and then cancel Wednesday's lecture on Vietnam to watch "Viva Las Vegas" and show off my Elvis memorabilia (which I have a bit of).

Isn't shocking that someone hired me?

1 Comments:

Blogger Victoria Dehlbom said...

I think you should cancel the Vietnam thing and go with Elvis.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home