Things Only Ace Thinks About

Sometimes my life is boring. Sometimes it's interesting. Usually it's more often the former and not so much the latter. Sometimes I can make it through my day only by pretending I have a documentary crew following me around, and that's when I'm glad that my inner-monologue cannot be heard by others. Everyone thinks like this, yes? And everyone loves Elvis, and the Brady Bunch, and Stephen King, and birthdays, right?

Friday, October 06, 2006

Warning: rant alert

Quick thoughts on recent stories. Okay, so violence in schools is up. How many shootings in the last week? Copy-cat crimes, sociopaths, etc. Do I have a solution to the problem? No. But I'm pretty sure that I could come up with something better than what a Wisconsin state legislator came up with.

Frank Lasee, a Republican, wants to solve the problem by arming teachers. That's right, send the educators into schools with weapons. Now while he doesn't imagine that the teachers will be strolling around with guns in their belts or in shoulder holsters, guns will still be taken onto campuses.

Here's what the genius had to say this morning on CNN when Soledad questioned the logic of this, saying it seemed like that might just make situations more volatile with the possibility of guns stolen or what-have-you. Lasee, employing a brilliant NRA-inspired metaphor, said that that was like saying pencils cause spelling mistakes. Guns don't kill people; people kill people.

Or, as Laura said, now teachers kill people.

I don't want to harp on this, but it scared the pants off of me.

In a less-serous note, it scared me because I remember my high school teachers. Most of them seemed just barely behind postal workers in terms of sanity/anger. Oh, and when this news story was running this morning, I was at the gym listening to it on my headphones. So the people around me had no idea what I was listening to.

Which might have made the audible comments I made seem semi-crazy. I think I might get a little scared if the person working out next to me suddenly starting muttering things about guns and morons and selective breeding to get rid of said morons. I'm fun to take into public.

Have a great weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home