Things Only Ace Thinks About

Sometimes my life is boring. Sometimes it's interesting. Usually it's more often the former and not so much the latter. Sometimes I can make it through my day only by pretending I have a documentary crew following me around, and that's when I'm glad that my inner-monologue cannot be heard by others. Everyone thinks like this, yes? And everyone loves Elvis, and the Brady Bunch, and Stephen King, and birthdays, right?

Thursday, January 12, 2006

And the curse is broken

So I house-sat for someone this summer. I kept his dog alive. I kept people out of his office. I kept the house all sorts of tidy, even scrubbing the carpet so it was actually the color God intended it to be.

I did not, however, keep his plants alive.

Because of a family curse.

No one in my family can keep indoor plants or flowers alive. It is just impossible. My Aunt Toni (not by blood, thus skipping the curse) would have to come over and rescue our plants, slowly nurse them back to health, and then reluctantly return them so they could once again receive their death sentence.

I followed my friend's direction to the letter this summer, and those stupid plants still died. I think they did it just to spite me. Bastards.

Anyways, as you may (or may not) recall, I won a door-prize at the Snow Ball. The prize was some potted flowers, called paper whites (right?). I took them to my office so others could try to convince the flowers not to kill themselves, and not allow me to murder them.

So I've been watering them and caring for them. Hell, I've even been talking to them. But I talk to almost everything, so that doesn't make them special (but don't tell them that).

And two of the stems have bloomed! Or blossomed! Or opened! Or whatever the correct terminology is!

Goodbye curse, hello green thumbs.

Oh, and I named the two little blossoms. Keep your fingers crossed for 'Cilla and Mary.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do your conversations with the flowers go? Do you just tell them about your day, or do you ask them questions?

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should get a cactus, and give Cilla and Mary a fighting chance somewhere else. A cactus is pretty hard to kill, even with a curse.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Ace said...

Just wanted to make the official announcement that 'Cilla and Mary have welcomed a new blossom to their family. Penelope is doing well.

Except, damn, I forgot to water them before leaving work today. It's going to be a rough weekend for the girls.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never name anything that has a life expectancy of less than a week.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ummmm.... Did you know that paperwhites are bulbs and they are supposed to die? Just like Amaryllis, they bloom in the winter, like for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas and then they die after blooming. You keep them dormant (no water, no light) in their soil (like in the basement or garage) and then the next November you bring them out and sit them in a windowsill and water them until they start to sprout and they bloom again. That's how they are supposed to work. LOL.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Ace said...

Double frick! So, (a) those little buds have nothing to do with me and the excellent care I've been taking with them and (b) they're just going to die so?

Damn. And just when I was celebrating little Jill joining the crew.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I didn't want to crush you but I thought you deserved to know the truth. LOL

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home