Things Only Ace Thinks About

Sometimes my life is boring. Sometimes it's interesting. Usually it's more often the former and not so much the latter. Sometimes I can make it through my day only by pretending I have a documentary crew following me around, and that's when I'm glad that my inner-monologue cannot be heard by others. Everyone thinks like this, yes? And everyone loves Elvis, and the Brady Bunch, and Stephen King, and birthdays, right?

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Holiday-us Interrupt-us

My vacation is almost over.

Which is one of the saddest sentences ever. Topped, perhaps, only by, "Sorry, miss, we are out of pumpkin scones today." Which is greeted with silent tears running down my cheeks.

In my valiant effort to lose some of the sitting-on-my-ass-and-eating-everything-in-sight holiday weight (damn that tin of chocolates. And all those pieces of pumpkin cheesecake. And glasses of wine. And seconds on stuffing. And birthday cake. And, well, you get the idea. I loves me some good food.), I returned to the gym today. I don't believe in going over vacation, so my trip today was very symbolic.

But I am so, so, so glad that I went. First, the girl next to me on the elliptical machine sang along to her little Ipod for the entire 35 minutes we were next to each other. I didn't recognize the grand majority of the songs, but the off-key renditions were incredibly entertaining. And think of all the extra calories I burned while giggling at her.

Second, Sundays are "family days" at the gym, so there were all these kids running around. Some jerk who shouldn't be a father made his six or seven or eight year-old son wait around while he did "a quick five minutes" on the rowing machine. The five minutes was ten by my count. The kid grew bored and started staring at the other people working out, when he was mesmerized by a young lady's ample, uh, area of her young lady-hood while she was doing the stair-machine. The dad noticed where his kid's gaze was aimed and announced loudly, "That's not for you for a few more years son. Stop looking at that woman's boobs."

What good parental advice. And not at all inappropriate.

Ah, the gym.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are switching the roles of you and the singing girl. I'm picturing you with your Ipod singing, and not noticing that your voice is being heard all over the gym.

Don't be ashamed. Be proud of your exuberance.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home