Things Only Ace Thinks About

Sometimes my life is boring. Sometimes it's interesting. Usually it's more often the former and not so much the latter. Sometimes I can make it through my day only by pretending I have a documentary crew following me around, and that's when I'm glad that my inner-monologue cannot be heard by others. Everyone thinks like this, yes? And everyone loves Elvis, and the Brady Bunch, and Stephen King, and birthdays, right?

Monday, November 21, 2005

My OCD is in Full Bloom (or: Why Lists are Fun)

And here they are, things I love followed by things I don’t love (and, in some instances, hate with an unwarranted passion).

1. Elvis (Derh. Too obvious? Suck it up, it’s my site.)
2. People who get my obscure references.
3. When I get other people’s obscure references.
4. Davy Jones’ appearance on The Brady Bunch.
5. Christmas songs. Sung by Neil Diamond.
6. Foot massages.
7. “Duke of Earl”
8. Setting your alarm and then deciding to sleep in.
9. Being bored and getting an unexpected phone call from a friend.
10. Pumpkin cheesecake.
11. Forgetting something was on sale until you are paying.
12. Figuring out your shirt is buttoned up wrong before anybody else does.
13. Sneezing. When I’m not near other people.
14. Disco music in inappropriate places (Chinese restaurants, medical supply stores where there are old men and women all gimped out with their walkers, etc.).
15. Birthdays. But especially mine.
16. Crunchy leaves in early October.
17. Putting my winter coat away for the year.
18. Adrenaline rushes after a good, long jog.
19. Skipping a good, long jog to eat ice cream while watching a Quantum Leap marathon.
20. Quantum Leap.
21. Fortune cookies dipped in hot tea.
22. Algebra. Seriously.
23. Having my nephews/nieces tell me I’m the cool aunt.
24. Watching their parents roll their eyes when that particular statement is uttered.
25. Sitting all the way through the credits at the movie theatre to see outtakes of Denzel Washington utter naughty words when he forgets a line.
26. Not needing a calculator to do basic math. It happens sometimes.
27. Having my checkbook balance perfectly.
28. Well-timed sarcasm.
29. When people make A Christmas Story reference.
30. Rainy days when I have nothing planned but reading fiction.
31. The squeaky noise my cat makes when I pick her up and she’s just waking.
32. Catching people, who think they are all alone, singing aloud to Irene Cara’s “Flashdance.”
33. Doubling a cookie recipe, eating the grand majority of the dough, and then lying to people about why there aren’t more cookies.
34. Dr. Cox.
35. Finishing work early.
36. Watching kids standing in line to see Santa Claus at the local mall. But not in a creepy way.
37. Sharing a private joke with someone in front of others.
38. A Very Brady Christmas.
39. Finding old pictures from childhood.
40. Lilies.
41. Pumpkin cheesecake (yes, I realize it’s on here twice. It’s good.)
42. Even numbers.
43. Finding a good new fiction book.
44. Going to the library.
45. Home. Made. Rolls.
46. Singing “Flashdance” in the privacy of my car and knowing I will not get caught by others.
47. ’58 Corvettes.
48. A really, really good margarita or a just pretty good margarita with really, really good nachos.
49. People who sing along to “Total Eclipse of the Heart” with utter abandon.
50. Elvis (It’s still my site and I can still do whatever I want).

Things I dislike

1. Men with manicures.
2. The word “metrosexual”
3. People who are consistently late.
4. Ducks.
5. Birds.
6. Anything bigger than my fist that can fly.
7. Anyone whose favorite movie is Pretty Woman.
8. Dog hair on my black pants.
9. The bumper sticker “Mean People Suck.”
10. Getting shots.
11. Ketchup packets.
12. Areas in the country that don’t have fry sauce.
13. People who tell me I have an accent.
14. People who pronounce Washington “Warsh-ington” and Boise “Boy-ze”
15. Money Tree commercials.
16. Snakes.
17. People who keep snakes as pets.
18. Christmas lights left up year-round.
19. Overly-PC people.
20. When I forget to take a fresh towel into the bathroom for my shower.
21. Brown carpet.
22. Vegans.
23. People who try to make me feel guilty for eating meat.
24. Forgetting to record debits in my checkbook.
25. When I’m the only one laughing at a joke.
26. Welcome mats with something other than “Welcome” on them.
27. When I say something offensive and realize it half a second too late.
28. People who claim they love, love, love It’s a Wonderful Life.
29. It’s a Wonderful Life.
30. Twins with rhyming names.
31. The smell of mildew.
32. When other people eat my pumpkin cheesecake.
33. Flat pillows.
34. Losing at “Candyland” to my niece and then watching her do a victory dance.
35. Feeling bummed that I lost at “Candyland.”
36. Forgetting to forward my home phone.
37. Public restrooms.
38. Parallel parking.
39. Not being able to swear in front of my dad, even when I’ve stubbed my toe and it hurts like a mother.
40. Going to the mechanic.
41. Getting the bill from the mechanic.
42. People who weigh their food in public when they’re on diets.
43. My inability to remember phone numbers.
44. My ability to remember senseless trivia.
45. Emoticons.
46. Meg Ryan.
47. Running into a wall because I’m talking to someone and not paying attention.
48. Getting confused with someone who looks nothing like me.
49. Getting ink on my clothing.
50. People who mock Elvis. He’s called The King for a reason.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flashdance? Really?

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You love your birthday?

No! Seriously?

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u left off cunnilingus

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg Ryan should be on everyone's hate list.

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate when I have just gotten out of the shower and then realize that I have to take a shit. It makes me feel dirty again

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't Neil Diamond Jewish?

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you love canes, and your childhood snare drum, and straightening ties (so to speak), and your kindred spirits at Elvis museum giftshops.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Ace said...

I have kindred spirits everywhere. And scary women in giftshops don't count. I hate that bear.

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home