Things Only Ace Thinks About

Sometimes my life is boring. Sometimes it's interesting. Usually it's more often the former and not so much the latter. Sometimes I can make it through my day only by pretending I have a documentary crew following me around, and that's when I'm glad that my inner-monologue cannot be heard by others. Everyone thinks like this, yes? And everyone loves Elvis, and the Brady Bunch, and Stephen King, and birthdays, right?

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Phonetics are phun

These are things that I think only happen to me. (Well, that’s not exactly true. One of my friends and I have what we call our “Larry David” contest to see who can either attract the most bizarre-o people to them or have just some weird experiences. We tie. A lot.) Anyways, you know how sometimes you start to say a word, change your mind in the middle of the word to say something else, and come up with a non-word? Like, if you’re trying to say “good morning” and then switch it to “hello,” you say something like “goo-low.”

Yeah, so I’m hoping you’re still following along.

Well, a while ago I was reading a book while I was walking in the library. First mistake: I should know better than try to walk and do something else. Always ends badly. Ok, so I’m walking and looking down. I start to go through a doorway and bump into someone else. I start to say “Excuse me,” but he’s already saying that. Not wanting to look stupid—mistake two: why would I bother with this thought-process, since I should know how it’s going to end up anyways—I decide to say “Sorry.” Sounds normal, yes? To your average person, this would have worked well.

Unfortunately, the Larry David-syndrome kicked in. I combined the two phrases. When I say “excuse me” I typically drop the e, and just say, “’cuse me.” My Idaho accent at its finest. So this was down to “’cu” and then I tossed an absent-minded “sorry” onto that. The result was something that sounded like “Scar-y.” Not “scary”, mind you, but “scar” plus an “ee” sound at the end. Still no problem, right? Well, then I looked up and saw the person I just uttered this “scar-y” word to. And guess what he had on his cheek? A huge (seriously, like a two-inch) scar. So my verbal mistake has just made me look like a class-action, well, you know. As one of my friends would say, a See You In Toledo.

It makes me feel better, though, knowing that other people also have word problems. In this light, I just want to share some lyrics from the upcoming album from Mr. Britney Spears, or Kevin Federline:

"Back then, they called me K-Fed, but now you can call me Daddy instead."

"Go ahead and say whatcha wanna/I'm gonna sell about two mil, oh, then I'm a goner/I know you all wish you was in my position/Cause I keep gettin' in situations that you wish you was in, cousin/Steppin' in this game and y'all ain't got a clue/Getting anxious? Go take a peep/ I'm starrin' in your magazines now every day and week/But maybe baby you can wait and see/ Until then all these Pavarottis followin' me."

Pavarottis? Pavarottis! Are we all picturing a big fat Italian guy chasing him around, singing opera? Do you think that this mental genius perhaps meant paparazzi? Well I'm seeing why Ms. White Trash would have fallen head-over-heels for this winner. Class-y.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home