Things Only Ace Thinks About

Sometimes my life is boring. Sometimes it's interesting. Usually it's more often the former and not so much the latter. Sometimes I can make it through my day only by pretending I have a documentary crew following me around, and that's when I'm glad that my inner-monologue cannot be heard by others. Everyone thinks like this, yes? And everyone loves Elvis, and the Brady Bunch, and Stephen King, and birthdays, right?

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Happy Oct. 18th, Elvis!

First of all, for those who forgot, today is The King’s three-quarter’s birthday. That’s right, just three more months until the big day. For those who are unfamiliar with three-quarter’s birthday protocol, typically you buy a present or make a cake for that person. If that person is dead (even allegedly) than said presents and cake go to his or her biggest fan.

Hi. I like cash gifts and chocolate cake. Hop to.

Second, I’ve got to go home and make some space on the mantle (and perhaps make a mantle). Why? Because my “Best History Instructor EVER” award should be coming soon.

Let’s give this some context, shall we?

When I get stressed, I have two typical responses: I get super-forgetful of everyday things I should know (like my phone number, where my cereal is, where my office is, what my cat’s name is) and/or I get super-giggly. While my friends might argue that I always show symptoms of the first response (damn that early on-set), my second response is always exaggerated.

A couple of years ago, in a class I was taking, I got a horrible case of the giggles. One of my friends drew a funny picture on my notes and I saw this picture just as I raised my hand to answer a question. For twenty minutes, the professor and my fellow classmates had to watch me giggle uncontrollably and try to compose myself. Legendary. I’m sure I impressed everyone that day.

Which brings me up to my expected-award. So today I was lecturing on the New Deal and I was talking about a specific act that old Gimpy McGee pushed through (that’s what us history folks call FDR. Or maybe that’s just me. Because I like to be respectful). This act was designed to get the wealthy to pay more taxes. Some creative genius even named it the Wealth Tax Act. Well done.

Anyways, one of my students, who apparently felt very passionate and enthusiastic about this, announced, “Whoo-hoo! Touchdown FDR!” while raising his arms in the touchdown signal (or whatever that’s called). I have no idea why, but this set me off. It took me a good ten minutes to stop giggling and return to my lecture.

And my students just watched their professor do this. And I’m sure were greatly impressed.

Maturity, thine name is Ace.

2 Comments:

Blogger Victoria Dehlbom said...

Sorry I missed it. Remind me to have you lecture again very soon.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In honor or Elvis' three-quarters birthday, I went to elvis.com and played Surfs-Up Elvis. It was really fun. I also ate 3/4 of a birthday cake. Maybe not something I should be admitting...

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home