Things Only Ace Thinks About

Sometimes my life is boring. Sometimes it's interesting. Usually it's more often the former and not so much the latter. Sometimes I can make it through my day only by pretending I have a documentary crew following me around, and that's when I'm glad that my inner-monologue cannot be heard by others. Everyone thinks like this, yes? And everyone loves Elvis, and the Brady Bunch, and Stephen King, and birthdays, right?

Sunday, November 06, 2005

I was sweated on by the Beach Boys. What did you do this weekend?

Ok, so I just reread that subject line and it is misleading on two accounts. First, I didn't really get sweated on by the Beach Boys. So I guess it was less "misleading" than it was a "big fat lie." Second, it sounds much dirtier than I had originally intended it. But I'm leaving it.

The subject line does refer to the fact that I went to a Beach Boys concert this weekend! Ow! (Read that last word in a rock-concert-y way)

Here are my disclaimers before I proceed to describe said concert:

A) First, I realize that Mike Love and Bruce Johnston do not the Beach Boys make.
B) I am on Brian Wilson's side in the Mike v. Brian fight. Learn more about that here. My father and sister (whom I went to the concert with) take Mike Love's side. But they are wrong. Sigh.
C) Elvis would kick Mike Love's ass in a fight. Ok, that has nothing to do with anything, but we all know that it is true.

Ok, back to the concert. With all of my disclaimers aside, this concert was Awe. Some. I cannot believe how much I enjoyed it. I'm a huge Beach Boys fan, something I credit to my former dj and current Mike Love impersonator father, and I grew up listening to their music. They were the first concert I ever went to (good Lord, over 15 years ago) and I enjoyed them more this time. Probably because the seats were 8 rows back. I was t-h-i-s close to the pseudo-Beach Boys! Ow!

Highly recommend seeing these guys in concert. They're no Scot Bruce, but still.

One odd thing I noticed about the concert. Wait, two. Two odd things. First, instead of people holding up lighters, they held up their glowing cell phone faces. Seriously. It was the gayest thing I think I have yet to see in person. Second, Mike Love, while not looking like my father, does bear a striking resemblance to my Uncle Lon. I'm going to search for pictures later. It was semi-creepy, especially since the, uh, ahem, slightly older Mike Love kept flirting with some sorority girls. And he dedicated their "most patriotic" song to all women in uniform. Cheerleading uniforms. The song was "Be True to Your School." And he used the word "inculcate." Do we think he knew what it meant?

Ok, that's enough on the concert. When my father's illegally taken pictures are developed, I will see about posting them. My sister also taped one of their songs. Shame on both of them--the cop and the law student. You might be wondering why I didn't take pictures. I was far too busy rockin' out!!! Ow!!!

And that's the gayest thing I've ever written.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was sweated on by the Four Freshman this weekend.

Not really.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ideal fight: Fat Elvis vs. Fat Brian Wilson.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home