Things Only Ace Thinks About

Sometimes my life is boring. Sometimes it's interesting. Usually it's more often the former and not so much the latter. Sometimes I can make it through my day only by pretending I have a documentary crew following me around, and that's when I'm glad that my inner-monologue cannot be heard by others. Everyone thinks like this, yes? And everyone loves Elvis, and the Brady Bunch, and Stephen King, and birthdays, right?

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Need an engagement ring? Go to a stock-car race.

Ok, so I'm giving a lecture today on the 1950s, so I decided to listen to some 50s music this morning to get me kind of in the mood. And not that kind of in the mood. That is reserved for a different lecture. Uh. . . I mean. . . I'm moving on. I decided that perhaps there was more fifties music than just Elvis, so I put on a record that had a collection of hits.

Can we all just agree that "Tell Laura I Love Her" is a stupid song? And why were such a disproportionate amount of songs from that decade about kids dying in car wrecks? Was it that large of a problem in our society? Tell Laura I love her, indeed.

But I must say that I love "Lightnin' Strikes" especially when he sings up in his high, girly voice. And I love the line, "Nature's takin' over my one-track mind." Ah, to be young and constricted by society in the fifties.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I missing something? What is up with your subject line?

6:15 PM  
Blogger Ace said...

It wasn't just some random southeastern Idaho reference. Go listen to the song. And then you'll agree with me that it is stupid.

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home