Things Only Ace Thinks About

Sometimes my life is boring. Sometimes it's interesting. Usually it's more often the former and not so much the latter. Sometimes I can make it through my day only by pretending I have a documentary crew following me around, and that's when I'm glad that my inner-monologue cannot be heard by others. Everyone thinks like this, yes? And everyone loves Elvis, and the Brady Bunch, and Stephen King, and birthdays, right?

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

My unintentional brashness

This week is just flying by. After all the parties/commemorations for The King's birthday on Monday (did you remember to send me a present?), I've been busy working. Damn busy. Not fun busy. Semi-cranky-inducing busy. Stupid work.

And yesterday an old man yelled at me. Ok, maybe he didn't yell yell, but he did raise his voice and lecture me. In front of people. At Shop-Ko. In line. Ass-hat.

So I had to buy some semi-random things last night: a birthday card, some batteries, wrapping paper, a photo album, and "feminine hygiene" products. I go to check-out and place all of said items on the little conveyor belt, where they were visible to other shoppers. And of course old Mr. Nosey McSenile had to look. And judge.

He was apparently offended with one of my purchases. Guess which one? He then gave me a lecture, loud enough for everyone else in line to hear, on how "in his day" young ladies wouldn't so "brashly" display items that were of such a private nature.

I was so stunned that I literally couldn't say anything. Upon telling this story to someone else, he suggested that I should have taken one of the items out of the box and bitch-slapped the old man.

His little lecture didn't make me feel guilty for being so open about buying things, so much as it made me wish I had bought other items to toss on there. Like, I don't know, KY Jelly, lacy bras, some Trojans, edible underwear, a bikini wax kit, etc. Although I doubt that Shop-Ko carries some of these items, but what kind of douche bag (hey, maybe some Massengill now that I think about it) comments on other people's items? And I'm sorry if in the 1920s, women didn't purchase these in mixed company, but that's the benefit of not being 108 years old. I got to skip over the era where you hid these things. Because men shouldn't know. That's what Betty Freidan and Gloria Steinem fought for, my freedom to buy things at Shop-Ko. Or equal wages for equal work. Or something.

Okay, this post turned out to be more feminist-y than I meant it to be, and probably more descriptive than some of my male readers wanted to see. I just really wanted to comment on why, yet again, I hate people. And these people always find me.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god, what the hell is wrong with people???

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um duh. Weren't you taught in 7th grade never to buy feminine hygeine in mixed company? Did you not see the movie they showed to everyone? What were you doing out of the house/kitchen anyway stupid, lazy beotch?

4:21 PM  
Blogger Victoria Dehlbom said...

I so wish I would have been there. That is too funny and hopefully you can see the funny in it you brash young lady.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Heathie said...

That poor old man is probably still trying to get used to the idea that women don't go into solitary confinement for 4-7 days a month; can't even think about us buying such things so indiscreetly. And with men present...

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As ignorant as the old man was, at least he figured out how to do something the rest of the world can only dream of: how to leave you speechless.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home